There is no one size fits all approach to getting the permits needed for your business. This guide provides background information regarding the types of permits that will be required, and which agencies you should speak with as part of the business start-up process. Keep the following in mind.

  • Some sites may not be “zoned” for the use you are proposing.
  • Other sites may have issues with state building and fire codes. It is important to make sure those issues are addressed prior to occupying a site. Solving problems after the fact can be very expensive, and may require your business to cease operations to bring the site into compliance.
  • You can never ask enough questions. Be sure to document who you spoke with and the specific responses that were provided. Always get answers in writing.
  • Before applying for any permits, or signing a lease, check (and double-check) all local requirements.
  • Is the property zoned appropriately? The Zoning Enforcement Officer is a great resource to determine whether the zoning is correct.
  • Does the Norwich Building Code allow for the use? The Building Official can answer this question.
  • Does the Fire Code allow the use? The Fire Marshal can answer this question.
  • Are they any incentives to locate in this part of the city? Is the property located in the Enterprise Zone or  in historic Downtown Norwich?

NCDC is here to help you through the permitting process.  Please reach out and talk to us about any permitting needs you may have.  The chart below will help you navigate City, State and Federal permitting.

Local Permitting

 Preliminary Discussion Prior to selecting your business location you may wish to contact the City’s economic development team, Norwich Community Development Corporation (NCDC). They will help you identify available sites and provide liaison services for you and the various city agencies.
‚ Zoning Approval The scope of your project will dictate the permit requirements from the City’s Zoning Authority. What are you proposing:·         Are you building a new facility, or adding on to a facility? If yes, check with the City Planner to identify the permit requirements for new construction.·         Are you proposing to use an existing facility or remodeling? If yes, follow steps 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.There are different requirements for each of these approaches.
ƒ„ Building and Fire Marshal Approval The scope of your project will dictate the permit requirements from the Building Official and Fire Marshal. What are you proposing:·         Using an existing building, but changing the use that is in the building? If yes, A change of use requires review by the Building Official and Fire Marshal.  ·         Interior renovations? If yes, interior renovations require review by the Building Official and Fire Marshal.  ·         A change of user? The current facility is used as an office and you are going to use it as an office with no changes? If yes, follow steps 5, 6 , 7 and 8.
… Public Utility Approval Norwich Public Utilities (NPU) manages utility services in Norwich. Contact their Project Coordinator at 860.823.4198 to arrange for utility connections.Sewer Capital Connection Fee and Utility Deposits must be paid prior to building occupancy.
† Health Department Approval The Uncas Health Department manages health and safety in Norwich. Permits are required if you are planning to:·         Prepare or serve food, or·         Make modifications to the wastewater systemContact the Uncas Health Department for detailed information about their permit requirements.


‡ Police Department Approval Vendors permits require Police Department approval. Contact Norwich Police Department at  860.886.5777.
ˆ City Clerk If you plan to operate under a different name than your own name then a Trade Name Certificate is required. Trade Name Certificates are filed in the City Clerk’s Office, 860.509.6100.All firms forming a corporation, limited partnership, limited liability partnership or limited liability company must file with the Connecticut Secretary of the


State Permitting

 Department of Revenue Sales and Use Tax Permit860.297.4900 |
‚ Department of Labor Employer IDUnemployment Compensation860.263.6000 |
ƒ Secretary of State All firms forming a corporation, limited partnership, limited liability partnership or limited liability company must file with the Connecticut Secretary of the State.860.509.6100 |
„ Economic Resource Center Connecticut Economic Resource Center, Inc. (CERC), a nonprofit corporation and public-private partnership that provides economic development services consistent with state strategies, leveraging Connecticut’s unique advantages as a premier business location.860.571.7136 |

Federal Permitting

 Internal Revenue Obtain your federal tax information. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has application forms available online for a federal employer ID number (EIN) and federal taxes.IRS Form SS-4 is required if you plan to have employees. You will be required to make regular payments for social security and employee withholding tax.

If you are a sole proprietor and expect to owe $1,000 or more in personal income tax, then it is recommended that you file estimated quarterly payments to minimize the end-of-year tax impacts.The IRS conducts workshops and courses geared to small businesses.