Consider Joining Business Associations
Business networking is one of the most overlooked steps in starting a business. Who is in your network? Are you getting referrals from them? How might you get more referrals?
Some business owners might say their schedule is demanding enough at the moment, and the thought of adding one more activity to their busy calendar is unbearable. So why should they try to cram time into their already hectic schedules to join and actively participate in their local chamber of commerce?
Because membership in the local chamber offers numerous benefits and keeps business owners on top of important, ever-changing issues and trends within their community and local marketplace. Research shows that consumers are more likely to do business with a company if it’s a member of their local chamber of commerce.
Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Join The Chamber of Commerce
Provided by The Greater Norwich Area Chamber of Commerce
1. MEMBERSHIP BRINGS CREDIBILITY TO YOUR BUSINESS
Your membership identifies your business as one that has an interest in the community. Throughout North America, a member-in-good-standing at a Chamber of Commerce is known as a company that can be trusted to be honest and fair. The type of company that customers seek.
2. IT’S THE RIGHT THING TO DO!
Chamber members are business and individuals that believe in taking action rather than sitting on the sidelines. They know that being a member is an investment not just in their own business, but also in the quality of life for the whole area.
3. PROVIDE CORE VALUES
At the Greater Norwich Area Chamber of Commerce, we serve as your connection to profit and growth through our three core values and benefits.
- Members doing business with members.
- Our relentless efforts to promote and advocate for our members.
- Our constant focus to create opportunities for connections, education, visibility, and support for our members.
4. INCREASE YOUR VISIBILITY IN THE COMMUNITY
As a new member of the chamber of commerce, your business will be listed in our online Chamber Directory; our printed annual GNACC Membership Directory & Community Guide; announced in our chamber weekly newsletter, our Latest News section on our home page as well as in our social media. GNACC can host a Ribbon Cutting, Grand Opening Ceremony, or even a Ground Breaking.
5. CHAMBER EVENTS AND PROGRAMS
Our Chamber believes in and is passionate about networking. We believe nothing can take the place of personal interaction when it comes to growing a business. Monthly Networking Opportunities to include Business After Hours; BizBlender; Business Breakfast Meetings; Chamber Orientations; Committee Involvement; Workshops and Seminars. Annual Events to include: Keep it Local – Holiday Bazaar; Annual Golf Tournament; and Annual Norwich Auto Show.
6. SHOWCASE YOUR BUSINESS
The chamber offers members a variety of ways to highlight and increase the visibility of their business:
- Host a Business After Hours. If your business is large enough to host approximately 80-150 people then this could be a great opportunity to invite fellow Chamber members to your business and show them what your business is all about.
- Host a Business At Breakfast. Members will stop by for coffee and pastries. It is a time to mingle and talk about your business. Attendance is much smaller than a business after hours, and therefore provided at a lesser cost to the business. This option becomes a viable option for many of our small business members.
- Host a Grand Opening and Ribbon Cutting. If you are a new business and wish to have a grand opening celebration with a ribbon cutting the Chamber can make this happen. We will make all the arrangements to invite the city official and dignitaries and communicate your announcement of the event.
7. ADVERTISE YOUR BUSINESS IN THE M2M COMMUNICATIONS
Advertising your business as a Chamber member shows customers that you care about the community. The M2M (Member-to-Member) program is an electronic advertising support piece designed to give members the opportunity to advertise their products, services, and events at no cost.
Member Supporting Members is our Chamber’s philosophy. We encourage our members to look to their fellow Chamber members when you are looking for a place to eat out, get a haircut, have your vehicle fixed, buy a home, get a loan, insurance, etc. When we support buying from each other, we invest in each other, keeping our local economy strong. It’s the right thing to do!
The M2M Communication is distributed to over 1,500 people. So remember every time you choose not to use this benefit as a part of your advertising and marketing tool for your business, you have a lost opportunity to reach a potential customer(s).
8. CREATE NETWORKING OPPORTUNITIES THROUGH COMMITTEE INVOLVEMENT
This is another great way to get involvement with other business owners and representatives as well as the community.
9. ACQUIRE CUSTOMER REFERRALS
Every day, the chamber office receives calls from individuals and businesses requesting information on local, trusted services that can assist them with their needs. The chamber typically provides recommendations through our member listings.
10. ACCESS TO MEMBERS-ONLY DISCOUNTS AND SERVICES
These differ from chamber to chamber, but discounted services are offered as a Member vs. a Not-Yet-Member rate. They can include coupons, discounts off of workshops or seminars, etc.
City of Norwich
Mayor’s Office | 860.823.3742
Assessor | 860.823.3723
Building Official | 860.823.3766
City Clerk | 860.823.3732
City Council | 860.823.3742
City Treasurer | 860.823.3740
Community Development Office | 860.823.3770
Finance Department | 860.823.3720
Norwich Public Utilities | 860.887.2555
Planning and Neighborhood Services | 860.823.3766
Public Works | 860.823.3789
Tax Collector | 860.823.3760
Emergency Management | 860.887.1018
Fire Department | 860.892.6080
Fire Marshal’s Office | 860.237.2053
Parking Commission | 860.889.5586
Police Department | 860.886.5561
Public Schools | 860.823.6284
Norwich Free Academy | 860.887.2505 (Private city-funded non-profit)
Three Rivers Community College | 860.215.9000 (State-funded)
Otis Library | 860.889.2365 (Private city-funded non-profit)
Parks and Recreation | 860.823.3791
Ice Rink | 860.892.2555
Golf Course | 860.889.6973
Senior Center | 860.889.5960
Greater Norwich Area Chamber of Commerce | 860.887.1647
Uncas Health Department | 860.823.1189